I happened to be watching a Rick Steves show on Denmark and in the show they were describing a way of living that they had. It was called hyggelig (hoo.gl.ee). This hyggelig meant you always have a drink, some food, and at the very least a candle between you and your company. It meant feeling cozy at the very base translation of the word but actually much more, it was your surroundings without anything that would make you feel ill at ease or emotionally overwhelmed. It was actually the pursuit of serenity, of comfy, of homey, of anything that brought that warm fuzzy to your soul.

My jaw dropped at this Danish discovery of self. That one single word summed up the pursuit of my entire life. Hyggelig!!! This blog is about just that, all the things that make me feel hyggelig. My only hope is that they inspire you to find your own hyggelig too. Imagine a world full of hyggelig, just imagine...

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mostly Found For Free Thanksgiving

Like I said before we decided to host this years family Thanksgiving since it's our first in our new home. Yes, we are crazy! We've only been here six months which all of have been spent on non-stop house projects. We still have a ways to go but wanted our family here anyway. Needless to say we are pretty much tapped out for lots of frilly extras. So, I hunted for what we needed around the house & neighborhood. I think it turned out pretty well considering I didn't buy a thing. You know I actually did look around in the stores and there weren't any Thanksgiving decorations anyway. It's like they think you only celebrate Halloween or Christmas.

Anyway, this is what I did...

Our table only seats six and we are going to be serving eight so I had to get clever and fit another table onto the side of it and then figure out how to make it look all cohesive. So I remembered that we had a king size sheet in a perfect harvest color that we'd never used. It made the perfect tablecloth and covered both tables.
An unused sheet can stand in for a tablecloth when in a pinch. 


I collected leaves from around my neighborhood and used leftover mini pumpkins from Halloween to make the table decorations.
Artfully arrange leaves under mini pumpkins for  fall festive decorations at each place setting. 

For the place cards I simply wrote each name on a leaf and placed it over the napkin on the plates.
Place cards made by nature are more beautiful than any I could make or buy.


To help tomorrow go much more smoothly and make sure everything is gonna fit on the table I labeled each dish with what it will be serving for the meal and made sure each dish had a serving utensil. Tomorrow when all the family arrives and is wanting to help they will be able to see what goes where without having to ask me (I'll be busy in the kitchen!)

All organized and ready to go!

The buffet is where we will be serving appetizers and dessert. Did you think I have a table runner? Nope, it's a trimmed end from one of the curtains that was too long. I just folded the raw edge under and perfection. It was even just the right size. All to do next was lay the leftover leaves on it for decoration. Pretty simple huh?


All decorated and ready for the desserts to arrive!

Look around your house for things you may be able to repurpose into decorations in a pinch! You just might find what you need and save some cash in the process and perhaps the landfill too!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone





No comments:

Post a Comment