I happened to be watching a Rick Steves show on Denmark and in the show they were describing a way of living that they had. It was called hyggelig (hoo.gl.ee). This hyggelig meant you always have a drink, some food, and at the very least a candle between you and your company. It meant feeling cozy at the very base translation of the word but actually much more, it was your surroundings without anything that would make you feel ill at ease or emotionally overwhelmed. It was actually the pursuit of serenity, of comfy, of homey, of anything that brought that warm fuzzy to your soul.

My jaw dropped at this Danish discovery of self. That one single word summed up the pursuit of my entire life. Hyggelig!!! This blog is about just that, all the things that make me feel hyggelig. My only hope is that they inspire you to find your own hyggelig too. Imagine a world full of hyggelig, just imagine...

Thursday, October 28, 2010

They Smell Like Pumpkin

After dreaming about next summer all week long I suppose it might be time to come back to the here and now with a little fall craftiness. As this is the first year in our new house we are planning on hosting the family thanksgiving dinner this year. I'm having grand ideas for the table scape and all the other decorations that go with this holiday. Here is part of the fun I plan on incorporating...

Pressing these leaves between wax paper to preserve them! I took a walk yesterday and they were piled up everywhere so I collected a handful to try this out on.
Leaves before pressing 


After pressing

I'm not sure what they are suppose to look like. I just pressed them until I could feel a slight coating on the outsides. All you have to do is sandwich them between wax paper and then paper towels. It took about an hour to do all these. I hope they last a long time and look great for many future thanksgivings.

Did you know that when leaves get hot they smell like pumpkin? A very pleasant surprise!!

4 comments:

  1. We used to do that exact thing in art class when we were little....except we added crayon shavings to it as well. I do believe I ruined my mom's iron trying to re-create the experience at home. Oops. Would love to see some pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never remember doing this in school, but everyone else says they have. I never thought of adding crayon shavings to it! That would be fun for next time! I'm wanting to collect bigger ones too and do those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we were a small Catholic school with no art budget....so it was all about the creativity!! They make really nice bookmarks too...think holiday gifts!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete