I happened to be watching a Rick Steves show on Denmark and in the show they were describing a way of living that they had. It was called hyggelig (hoo.gl.ee). This hyggelig meant you always have a drink, some food, and at the very least a candle between you and your company. It meant feeling cozy at the very base translation of the word but actually much more, it was your surroundings without anything that would make you feel ill at ease or emotionally overwhelmed. It was actually the pursuit of serenity, of comfy, of homey, of anything that brought that warm fuzzy to your soul.

My jaw dropped at this Danish discovery of self. That one single word summed up the pursuit of my entire life. Hyggelig!!! This blog is about just that, all the things that make me feel hyggelig. My only hope is that they inspire you to find your own hyggelig too. Imagine a world full of hyggelig, just imagine...

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Office, A Clean Slate

Like I said I love to paint inside the closets!


I've never had my very own work space before. In this house my Honey and I each get our own little offices  tucked upstairs (now I'll have no excuse to start that business I've always wanted to). We've been working non-stop on this place and are finally about to finish the upstairs. My room has the basics pretty much done. It's a clean slate just waiting for me to dress it properly for the multi tasking it will have to do. My office / craft room, occasional guest room.

I absolutely love the color I picked for this. So far this and the dining room are my favorite wall colors throughout the house. Like with the closets I'm obsessed with the walls being just the right color. For this room it had to be an energizing work space yet cozy for the house guests it will sleep. I think it's just perfection.

Soon to be added, a bookcase on the left, cork board on the right and a flat screen over the desk. Well, the last one is on the wish list. Office chair waiting to be put together!
New window! This room has been painted floor to ceiling. Wants for this wall include a colorful  curtain / shade. 
This side of the office is gonna get a day bed with baskets underneath for storage.  Also an area rug is in the plans. The chair will have to go. 
This is my office looking into my Honey's. We are doing his next! The mirror will be hung, and the heater vent changed out. 


There is still lots to do but we have come so far from it's hideous beginnings. 
Take a look....



This is what it looked like before we moved in. Hunter green, bleh!! My desk is on this wall now. 




Dingy closet and the door opens on the wrong side. 


Old falling apart window, dark wood trim and hunter green that screams Eddie Bauer from the  1990's.  Not me at anytime in my existence!
Notice how the previous owners painted the part of the ceiling that is angled down to the walls. It made the room feel small and closed in. 

My Honey and my little sister pulled all the carpet up in here and removed all the staples. This house wouldn't be so far along without all the help we've so generously been given.

Now we have to make the Honey a blank slate for him to build his office on. I'm very excited about his color choice! So my room will soon be filled with all his stuff. Then and finally then I'll be able to actually use my room!

No comments:

Post a Comment