I happened to be watching a Rick Steves show on Denmark and in the show they were describing a way of living that they had. It was called hyggelig (hoo.gl.ee). This hyggelig meant you always have a drink, some food, and at the very least a candle between you and your company. It meant feeling cozy at the very base translation of the word but actually much more, it was your surroundings without anything that would make you feel ill at ease or emotionally overwhelmed. It was actually the pursuit of serenity, of comfy, of homey, of anything that brought that warm fuzzy to your soul.

My jaw dropped at this Danish discovery of self. That one single word summed up the pursuit of my entire life. Hyggelig!!! This blog is about just that, all the things that make me feel hyggelig. My only hope is that they inspire you to find your own hyggelig too. Imagine a world full of hyggelig, just imagine...

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Decadent Without Guilt


A couple days ago I taste tested some super decadent chocolate muffins and was given the recipe. I went to Trader Joe's to buy all the ingredients and then realized that Trader Joe's chocolate cake mix is way bigger than your standard ones. So I doubled everything and it came out just perfect with lots to freeze for later!

1 box Trader Joe's cake mix
1 cup water
2 cans 15 oz pumpkin
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup white chocolate chips

Mix all together and and drop into lined muffin tin.
Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes or 30 minutes for jumbo muffins.

116 calories per serving of regular sized muffin, 232 calories per jumbo size
omit chocolate chips to lower calories
My recipe made 24 regular sized ones and 10 jumbo.



I'm excited to experiment with this! I think it would make a great cake minus the chocolate chips and topped with a low fat cream cheese topping or cool whip. I'm thinking carrot cake mix with shredded carrot added and cream cheese frosting.

Try any cake mix you like. I think the original recipe used spice cake mix and cinnamon chips.
If you want to use a regular cake mix just add 1/2 cup water, one  15 oz can pumpkin, and 3/4 cup chips.

Honey approved! He ate three in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment