I happened to be watching a Rick Steves show on Denmark and in the show they were describing a way of living that they had. It was called hyggelig (hoo.gl.ee). This hyggelig meant you always have a drink, some food, and at the very least a candle between you and your company. It meant feeling cozy at the very base translation of the word but actually much more, it was your surroundings without anything that would make you feel ill at ease or emotionally overwhelmed. It was actually the pursuit of serenity, of comfy, of homey, of anything that brought that warm fuzzy to your soul.
My jaw dropped at this Danish discovery of self. That one single word summed up the pursuit of my entire life. Hyggelig!!! This blog is about just that, all the things that make me feel hyggelig. My only hope is that they inspire you to find your own hyggelig too. Imagine a world full of hyggelig, just imagine...
Saturday, February 12, 2011
Top Ten Things That Make You Look Oldish
1. You have had the same haircut for the last five years.
2. You wear matching jewelry sets (necklace, earrings, bracelet, etc.)
3. You wear leather coats, jackets, or blazers (it's a very narrow window between looking hip & young versus oldish on this one).
4. You wear nude / tan pantyhose and you think your wardrobe from ten years ago is just fine as long as it still fits.
5. You pluck way more than just the strays on your eyebrows.
6. You love animal prints, alligator textured stuff, and big shiny gold tone hardware on everything.
7. You have those glasses that get darker in the sun so you don't have to wear separate sunglasses.
8. You color your hair at home in one shade and it seems to get lighter and lighter with each passing year or darker and darker.
9. You haven't given the color of your teeth any thought.
10. You think having long nails is glamorous and worse you keep them all long even if one is shorter due to a tear.
I think I could go on at length but I'd love to hear what you have to say on the matter. What do you think ages a woman before her years?
Stay tuned tomorrow for the top ten things that can make you look ten years younger!