I happened to be watching a Rick Steves show on Denmark and in the show they were describing a way of living that they had. It was called hyggelig (hoo.gl.ee). This hyggelig meant you always have a drink, some food, and at the very least a candle between you and your company. It meant feeling cozy at the very base translation of the word but actually much more, it was your surroundings without anything that would make you feel ill at ease or emotionally overwhelmed. It was actually the pursuit of serenity, of comfy, of homey, of anything that brought that warm fuzzy to your soul.

My jaw dropped at this Danish discovery of self. That one single word summed up the pursuit of my entire life. Hyggelig!!! This blog is about just that, all the things that make me feel hyggelig. My only hope is that they inspire you to find your own hyggelig too. Imagine a world full of hyggelig, just imagine...

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Top Ten Things That Make You Look Oldish

Lately I've been musing on what pegs you as middle aged or kinda oldish for women. What has inspired these thoughts? Compliments from strangers that are way younger than me thinking I'm younger than they are! Yes, it's very flattering and very perplexing since all I see is the old me with those wrinkles and bags and extra pounds I'm constantly trying to work off.  Although after much thought I think I figured it out and I hope it will also help you figure it out too. If you answer yes to any of these questions we have work to do!!

1. You have had the same haircut for the last five years.

2. You wear matching jewelry sets (necklace, earrings, bracelet, etc.)

3. You wear leather coats, jackets, or blazers (it's a very narrow window between looking hip & young versus oldish on this one).

4. You wear nude / tan pantyhose and you think your wardrobe from ten years ago is just fine as long as it still fits.

5. You pluck way more than just the strays on your eyebrows.

6. You love animal prints, alligator textured stuff, and big shiny gold tone hardware on everything.

7. You have those glasses that get darker in the sun so you don't have to wear separate sunglasses.

8. You color your hair at home in one shade and it seems to get lighter and lighter with each passing year or darker and darker.

9. You haven't given the color of your teeth any thought.

10. You think having long nails is glamorous and worse you keep them all long even if one is shorter due to a tear.

I think I could go on at length but I'd love to hear what you have to say on the matter. What do you think ages a woman before her years?

Stay tuned tomorrow for the top ten things that can make you look ten years younger!

6 comments:

  1. My wife wanted me to comment on this one on what I thought.. um.. well.. now she agrees on this one and I see it all the time at work, but, in a word..
    BANGS. (shorter bangs in general)
    There I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, on the bangs thing if you have long hair your bangs need to blend into your hair via side swept bangs. Or if you want to have bangs that are brow length you better do them super thick and mod via Heidi Klum or Zooey Deschanel. No straight across wispy bangs. If you have those go to the hairdressers straight away and have them cut more in to go mod or blend into the rest of your hair best as you can until it grows out.

    I'm sure my hairdresser sis could comment on this one better than me. Mo, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT list, Angelique - I agree with you on all of those, especially the nude panty-hose, can't they just stop manufacturing those already? I have two to add: over-tanning and too much make-up. Just enhance what God gave you - don't cover it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally! OMG yes over tanning is the worse and with the makeup thing also add drawing on your eyebrows!! I actually see that ALL the time. What the heck? Well, I'd take your advice on staying young because you seem to not age one bit! You are doing it all right! I should totally spotlight you on here with an interview and pics : )

    Catherine is a very young looking fresh faced beauty everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is in reference to the bangs. I agree with my sister, however short bangs can look very stylish and can give your haircut an edgy look if done well. Think asymetrical and very textured. Another thing you can add to your list is dry overprocessed hair that doesn't shine...girls do a weekly deep conditioner or get a glossing treatment. For me if you still have that sense of adventure mixed with a little humor that is the essence of youth no matter what year the calender says.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mo! You always have such great beauty advice. Which I shall take and get a glossing treatment next time I'm in! Yup, I'm lucky enough to have a big sis who cuts amazing hair and touts out beauty advice! She got me onto powder eyeliner years ago and I've never gone back.

    ReplyDelete