I happened to be watching a Rick Steves show on Denmark and in the show they were describing a way of living that they had. It was called hyggelig (hoo.gl.ee). This hyggelig meant you always have a drink, some food, and at the very least a candle between you and your company. It meant feeling cozy at the very base translation of the word but actually much more, it was your surroundings without anything that would make you feel ill at ease or emotionally overwhelmed. It was actually the pursuit of serenity, of comfy, of homey, of anything that brought that warm fuzzy to your soul.

My jaw dropped at this Danish discovery of self. That one single word summed up the pursuit of my entire life. Hyggelig!!! This blog is about just that, all the things that make me feel hyggelig. My only hope is that they inspire you to find your own hyggelig too. Imagine a world full of hyggelig, just imagine...

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fashion Uniforms And Fall 2011 Fashion Week!

Welcome to day one of fall 2011 ready to wear fashion week!

I wait with complete giddy anticipation for every new seasons fashion week to come. Once it does I'm glued to the internet going over each and every single show I can get my eyes on. Day one has not disappointed with already an inspiration for a fantastic look that I'm so in love with I think it could become my winter uniform! That my dears is rare for me. I just LOVE this!!

I might as well start day one off with my favorite look of the day. Enjoy!
Just Cavalli (and I'm just in love!)
This has all the components that I love in a look. It's kinda extra cool with the knee high boots, it's very girly with the baby doll top, has that understated sexiness with the leggings / jeggings, and comfy to boot with the long cardigan! Just think of all the ways this could be reincarnated into your wardrobe in colors and fabrics that you love.

I'm totally giving myself away here. In the past I kept my favorite looks and inspirations under lock and key just for me. Sure I'd tell my sisters and friends about what I thought the new trends were gonna be but never ever did I divulge my inner most "me" looks. The looks that inspired that "me" thing. Sounds silly huh? Well, let me tell you thats what a fashion nerd is!! Yes, I'm a total fashion nerd and yes it is very possible to be one.
M. Patmos 
M. Patmos has me pegged here too. I absolutely love this idea. Ummm not with white tennis shoes though. No, throw on some oxfords or some ankle boots and you have yourself another great "uniform" for fall that can be recreated in lots of different ways. Come on, can't you see it on yourself in what you probably already have in your closet right now? This is so easy! Take the computer into your room right now and pull out the pieces you need to recreate this look. I bet you already have everything in there!

M. Patmos 
Yeah, and do the same with this one too. You should have those leather shorts by now. I told you they were gonna be a huge trend for summer and now you can bring them into next fall too. See I'm stretching your fashion budget before either season is even here. Please again no white tennis shoes with this! A very good example of why you almost never copy straight from the runway. I love this. It's totally another "uniform" mold that you could make fresh with many different sweaters and tights / leggings, oxfords / boots / heels.
Organic by John Patrick 

Organic by John Patrick 
Alright, this is getting just way too easy. I know you have skirts in there (your closets that is) and I know you have sweaters and tights. So, all you might have to do is hem them to the correct length if you missed my post on them for next summer. See how easy this can be. It's not about completely buying a new wardrobe every time a new season arrives. Get a little creative and think "what do I have that could work here?".  Get the sewing machine out or get to the tailors for an inexpensive nip tuck as needed (leather included). No more excuses that you can't afford to be chic. Oh, yes you can missy!

Now you have four fall / winter fashion standby "uniforms" to make up in hundreds of different ways only limited by your imagination. Get that school kid imagination cap on and go crazy!

I'm now left with the biggest yearning to take you through your closet and dress you up in all these looks with all the stuff you most certainly have in there to make them and then encourage an outing to the shops to expand upon them! Heaven!! Yes, fashion nerd.

P.S. I would get in on this and practice if I were you cause it might just result in a subscription to a fashion magazine in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment