I happened to be watching a Rick Steves show on Denmark and in the show they were describing a way of living that they had. It was called hyggelig (hoo.gl.ee). This hyggelig meant you always have a drink, some food, and at the very least a candle between you and your company. It meant feeling cozy at the very base translation of the word but actually much more, it was your surroundings without anything that would make you feel ill at ease or emotionally overwhelmed. It was actually the pursuit of serenity, of comfy, of homey, of anything that brought that warm fuzzy to your soul.

My jaw dropped at this Danish discovery of self. That one single word summed up the pursuit of my entire life. Hyggelig!!! This blog is about just that, all the things that make me feel hyggelig. My only hope is that they inspire you to find your own hyggelig too. Imagine a world full of hyggelig, just imagine...

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Two More Fashion Predictions For Spring / Summer 2011

Alright, I know I've been a bit neglectful the past few days. It's just that I've been hoping to show you before and afters of our stairway that we've been working on. It's just taking lots longer than planned. So here is something to chew on while the paint dries.

Two more of my delightful and delicious trend predictions for spring / summer 2011 that I'm dying to wear right now!

So, to add to trend # 1 leather shorts and trend # 2 lace...
Trend #  3  wide legged pants done in any way you want, cropped, jumper, long, high waisted,  pleated, whatever!




Malandrino
Francesco Scognamiglio

Thakoon

Rachel Roy


Mulberry

Roland mouret
Oscar de la renta

Behnaz Sarafpour     

Trend # 4 knee length skirts and I think it's about time this finally came back. I love how it's so flattering on just about anybody. If you don't like your knee's just go slightly under them with the hem line. 

marc by marc Jacobs (another one that reminds me of  my german 80's youth, LOVE it!)
Steven Alan

Junya Watanabe









Jill Stuart
Organic by John Patrick
3.1 Phillip Lim
Erdem
O.K. so now I've given you four great ideas to pull together for next spring / summer and I haven't even done dresses or accessories yet! There really is no excuse to be wearing those mom pants or at the other end of the spectrum those coin slot booty jeans. 

Make an effort to present yourself well next summer. It's not about vanity or materialism, it's simply about respecting  yourself and others. I certainly appreciate the effort even if it's some kid gone all mohawk and retro punk. Cause you know they cared enough to actually DO something with themselves.

I'll leave this rant by saying that I love to people watch. Not the ones that just throw on the comfiest thing they own. It's the ones that express themselves with their appearance. From the girls in four inch heals and diva hair to the ones wearing complete retro 80's. They are speaking to you and me. They are saying  here is a little window into my life. It's lovely and fascinating and gives me a little thrill every time I spy such a creation on a daily basis. This is a language I wish we all were willing to speak to each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment