I happened to be watching a Rick Steves show on Denmark and in the show they were describing a way of living that they had. It was called hyggelig (hoo.gl.ee). This hyggelig meant you always have a drink, some food, and at the very least a candle between you and your company. It meant feeling cozy at the very base translation of the word but actually much more, it was your surroundings without anything that would make you feel ill at ease or emotionally overwhelmed. It was actually the pursuit of serenity, of comfy, of homey, of anything that brought that warm fuzzy to your soul.

My jaw dropped at this Danish discovery of self. That one single word summed up the pursuit of my entire life. Hyggelig!!! This blog is about just that, all the things that make me feel hyggelig. My only hope is that they inspire you to find your own hyggelig too. Imagine a world full of hyggelig, just imagine...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pre-fall 2011 Part 2

Yes, I'm still alive and still in love with fashion. So I thought I'd offer the next crop of looks from the pre-fall 2011 shows that caught my eye. Remember that I rarely take any of these runway looks literally. I pluck them from the rest because they have inspired me to think anew and different about the oncoming season. Perhaps the way it's layered, shaped, proportioned, the drape, or the fit. Then my mind can go crazy with imagination with what it inspires me to do and wear for myself. Try it! It's quite fun.

Balenciaga
For instance take this one from Balenciaga, I love the bare leg against the very covered arms and neck. It reminds me of a little girl, especially with the ankle strap shoes. I like things that remind me of a little girl but are actually quite womanly (sexy without being vulgar).

Givenchy
What do I like about this Givenchy one? The proportions of the wide leg with the little retro looking jacket on top. I'm a sucker for wide legged pants when done right. These are perfection.

Givenchy
I absolutely love the ruffle on ruffle with lace in this one. The jacket is so very frilly but oddly enough when added to more frill and lace it kind of tones it down. Makes it quite gorgeous without being precious. Lesson learned here - sometimes more is better. Always add or take away until it feels right. This time adding was definitely the way to go.




Lanvin
This one is probably my favorite out of this second crop of looks. Why? It is me. I would have and did wear outfits just like this back in the day. Which goes to show that no matter how old you are along the line of seasons there will always be something in fashion that beckons back to your best years. Thats the secret to always staying in fashion no matter how old you get. You just have to look and tweak ever so slightly. Classic me... whats classic you?

No comments:

Post a Comment