I happened to be watching a Rick Steves show on Denmark and in the show they were describing a way of living that they had. It was called hyggelig (hoo.gl.ee). This hyggelig meant you always have a drink, some food, and at the very least a candle between you and your company. It meant feeling cozy at the very base translation of the word but actually much more, it was your surroundings without anything that would make you feel ill at ease or emotionally overwhelmed. It was actually the pursuit of serenity, of comfy, of homey, of anything that brought that warm fuzzy to your soul.

My jaw dropped at this Danish discovery of self. That one single word summed up the pursuit of my entire life. Hyggelig!!! This blog is about just that, all the things that make me feel hyggelig. My only hope is that they inspire you to find your own hyggelig too. Imagine a world full of hyggelig, just imagine...

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Office Progress


I finally got a bookcase to put my books away in. My very own bookcase! It may not seem that exciting but for me it was a thrill. I've never had my very own bookcase, in fact I've never had my own desk or office chair, actually I've never had my very own office!

I was as giddy as a school girl with each book I placed inside my bookcase. I love it! I have a place for my things and even a drawer at the bottom for art supplies. So now I have a desk, office chair, and bookcase! Next to tackle is the guest room side with a daybed and an area rug to make it all feel hyggelig.

Things are coming together up there in my very own office. Which is good because I haven't crafted one single Christmas gift yet. Yikes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment